Monday, October 18, 2010

Dove Tales: Part I



First time fishing since the Dam social.....my god that is a long time, however work got in the way of fishing which is never a good thing. 15 flights in 30 days....time for a break on the river bank I think.

I was lucky enough to go fishing with Roy on the L&D section of the Dove, I have fished other parts of the river with my DCAC membership but it is always nice to see some other parts.

The river is set in an amazingly beautiful gorge, which provides a superb back drop for the fishing, the trees and changing light make the river a real pleasure to be on.

We strolled up to a good pool on the beat and Roy left me wading into the cold water, while he went further upstream.....I had optimistically gone for a dry, but soon changed to a nymph.....still no fishes though....Roy returned with a mild grin however, one out of season brownie on the board for him. True to form Roy's aura on the river continues...

I moved down the pool a little to find fish rising, so the dry was back on....and I had a dinky out of season brown (or OSB....as there were a few)......

We continued down the river towards the car and had some success but nothing great. I cant remember how the catching continued but it was tough going, I hooked a grayling and nearly had him landed, but the slippery little bugger came off. And roy had a grayling or 2....I had another OSB.

We did another full run of the section we were on after lunch, I managed an OSB, and Roy got a lovely grayling right at the death which was the fish of the day (aside from the monster I spotted earlier). The fishing after lunch was hard going with little going on anywhere we went, in the end we were more productive packing up and going home.

Thanks go to roy for being a superb host, had a great day out, shame the fish were not completely on form, but there we go.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment